Photo by Majdi Fathi/TPS
By Baruch Yedid/TPS • 7 September 2020
The man who came to power after Yasser Arafat’s death and determined the strategy of the “political intifada” and rejected the armed struggle in Israel is about to leave the stage, tomorrow or the day after.
Mahmoud Abbas’ strategy is known in Ramallah as the “waiting policy.” This term is used as criticism and to ridicule Abbas who preferred to wait outside the arena rather than be an active player.
This strategy has taken a very heavy toll on the Palestinians.
- PLO offices in Washington have closed.
- American budgets for the Palestinian Authority have been cancelled.
- UNRWA’s budgets are almost gone.
- The United States Embassy in Israel was moved to Jerusalem.
- The economic conference in Bahrain was held despite the absence of the Palestinians.
- The US-formulated Deal of the Century diplomatic plan was published.
- A peace agreement was signed between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.
- The Palestinians are embroiled in a conflict with the Arab League.
- Saudi Arabia authorizes Israel flights through its airspace.
- Bahrain is apparently close to an agreement with Israel.
- So is Sudan.
And if all these “disasters” are not enough, then Abbas is also responsible for the disintegration of the Palestinian arena.
- During his shift, the Gaza Strip was torn apart and became an independent entity.
- During his shift, Hamas leader Ismail Haniya became a Palestinian statesman conducting political campaigns.
- During his shift, Fatah disbanded into three camps.
Corruption has increased dramatically
- The separation between the three powers ended, and Abbas became a dictator who is the administration and the legislature, and he dissolved the Legislative Council.
- The judicial system has become a corrupt authority.
- Abbas controlled the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Finance.
- The Palestinian investment fund became a playground for him and his children, and the fund’s size was reduced by $600 million. Abbas received the fund with a billion and four hundred million dollars, and now its capital is $800 million dollars.
- He destroyed the PLO and appointed whoever he wanted on the Central Council and its Executive Committee
This is Abbas’ legacy and this is how Palestinian historians will write it.
Get 5 daily news bites direct from Israel!
Sign up https://bit.ly/3fD1AmX